Desert, St Catherine and the Red Sea
Stay for three days in the desert, with its bizarre mountains, granite and sandstone formations, impressive valleys and gorges. Ride your camel deeper and deeper into the canyons and and oasis of Sinai. Combine your desert adventure with the cultural site of St Catherine. And at the end of your journey you can relax snorkelling in the waters of the Red Sea
- Day 1: Arrive in Sharm el Sheikh airport, transfer to Dahab, overnight in hotel.
- Day 2: Drive to Nuweiba, meet up with our camels and off into the desert. Camp out under the starry sky
- Days 3 - 5: Three days through the desert by camel. We traverse the Sinai mountains – a chaos of volcanic rocks. A desert scape broken by wadis, bizarre sandstone formation, rocks coloured by oxidised iron, through sandstone mountains eroded by wind and water – almost as they were sculpted by artists. Constantly we cross over basalt and granite as well as sandy dunes. We traverse the famous Coloured Canyon, ride through palm filled oases and encounter and experience the lifestyle of the Bedouins of the Tarabin tribe.
- Day 6: Transfer to Mount Sinai, which is situated in the heart of the Sinai. The highest peak of this mountain range is 2600m. There are valleys and gorges with spring water, where the Bedouin and monks cultivate fruit trees and vegetables. We visit St. Catherine’s Monastery, one of the oldest monasteries, built in the Byzantine epoch. Here you can find one of the world’s oldest and most valuable monastery libraries.
- Day 7: Early morning climb up mount Sinai (2285m) to experience the sunrise. After the descent, transfer back to Dahab where you can enjoy the beauty of the coral reefs and colourful marine life, either by swimming, snorkelling or diving. Overnight in hotel.
- Day 8: Transfer to airport. Return flight.
This tour can be adapted to suit individual requirements and may vary from the set program depending on the guide, group and climatic conditions.
Groups who wish to arrange their own custom planned safaris, contact us with group size and preferred itinerary for a quotation.